Virtual Eucharist Adoration

Virtual Eucharist Adoration
We adore You O Christ and we bless You, because by Your holy cross You have redeeemed the world!

Monday, February 18, 2008

What did you learn in history?




I have been reading "Lies My Teacher Told Me" and "People's History of the United States 1492 to Present" both books are fascinating. I am often taken aback by what I was never taught in school. Both books are written by very liberal thinking gentlemen and it is obvious in what they present. However, I had never learned about Columbus' atrocities, I learned the term "carpetbagger" and certainly received a skewed teaching of many historical events. It was mindblowing almost to read a different view than what I was taught. I am intregued to learn more. I recommend these books as an informative read. I don't think you should take as gospel everything these men write but I don't think they want you to either. They both say that they want students to think about history and when their is conflict of stories to make their own informed opinions. But informed is the keyword I think. Don't just take their word for it, or the textbooks, or event the encyclopedia or wikipedia - read many sources and then decide. Well, that is if you have time . Sigh, once again something to fill my free time with. Wait, what is free time??????

God bless,
Christy

No comments:

Today's Mass Readings