Virtual Eucharist Adoration

Virtual Eucharist Adoration
We adore You O Christ and we bless You, because by Your holy cross You have redeeemed the world!

Monday, April 6, 2009

It's Birthday Time Did Your Cake Turn Out??


It is April and April is Birthday Time in my family.

Josh and Sylvia have birthdays along with my Mom, Mother-in-law, 2 sisters, a brother, a niece, a nephew and a a great nephew .


So, the thought of birthday cakes comes to mind! I have always thought that how they came out was something of a crap shoot - NOT SO! In a lovely old church school cookbook, I found some great recipes. Which I am putting in separate posts. But what I thought was the real find was the following list of common problems and the reason why.

What a great find!



I don't bake a lot of cakes but when I do I want them to turn out.



Cake Failure?
What Happened?


Cake too brown
1. Baked too long
2. Oven too hot
3. Too much sugar

Not brown enough
1. Too big a pan
2. Too little baking powder or inactive baking powder
3. Not baked enough
4. Too little sugar

Holes in cake
1. Too little mixing
2. Too little liquid or shortening
3. Too cool in oven

Crumbly texture
1. Too little mixing
2. Too much shortening or sugar

Dry cake
1. Too little shortening or sugar
2. Too much baking powder
3. Over baked

Heavy cake
1. Too much shortening or liquid
2. Wrong proportions of sugar and flour

Cake humped or cracked in the center
1. Too hot an oven
2. Too much flour
3. Or a combination of the above

Sticky (?)
1. Too much sugar or shortening
2. Under baked

Cake falls
1. Under baked
2. Substituting self rising flour and not reducing leavening


Food Wonders Common and Simple, Fort Wayne Christian School

No comments:

Today's Mass Readings