Virtual Eucharist Adoration

Virtual Eucharist Adoration
We adore You O Christ and we bless You, because by Your holy cross You have redeeemed the world!

Monday, April 6, 2009

Mother-in-law Cake

While I wonder why it is called this - it doesn't prejudice me from attempting to bake it!



Mother-in-Law Cake

2 cups sugar
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 cup butter (original calls for margarine - but I never cook with it - gotta love butter)
1/2 cup Crisco (imagine that!)(I use coconut oil)
4 Tbs cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 slightly beaten eggs
1tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine sugar and flour in bowl. In a saucepan combine butter, shortening, cocoa, and water. Bring to a boil. Add boiled mixture to sugar and flour. Add remaining ingredients. Beat well. Pour into greased 9" cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

And if it doesn't turn out the first time -check here to see why.

It must be called Mother-in-Law cake because it is so stinkin' good and you can butter her up with a piece!! Duh!

From the marvelous little book: Food Wonders Common and Simple, Fort Wayne Christian School

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

Awesome cake, and delicious too. I tried it and it worked good...amazingly..because i can't bake!
I buttered her up alright, my mother in law that is, and gave her a book too.
The book, The Mother in-Law Manual. It's written by Susan Lieberman. It tells mothers-in-laws they are okay but that they also must make their children and their partners okay. Every woman with children needs to read this, because hopefully our kids will grow up and marry and we will become mother in laws too one day. I would like to be as great as my mother in-law.
Also, she asked for the recipe!!

Christy said...

I checked out the link - it looks like a great book. I am heading into mother -in -law-hood and can certainly use this sage advice.
Glad to hear the cake is delicious - I think so too.

Chrissy said...

Excellent - well you will definitely enjoy it then!

Today's Mass Readings