Virtual Eucharist Adoration

Virtual Eucharist Adoration
We adore You O Christ and we bless You, because by Your holy cross You have redeeemed the world!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chicken Enchilada Lasagna

OK, I have to admit this will be a crap shoot. Sometimes when I make dinners up they are really good and sometimes we have to get carryout. I am hoping for really good. I vaguely remember watching Emeril make something similar - but that was a long time ago, it was late at night, and I don't have a bunch of prep cooks.
Anyhoo, this is what I did...

1/2 chicken breast cooked and cut up tiny - looks like more
2 cups shredded mexican cheese, divided
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4-1/2 cup cottage cheese (I used up what I had)
1/4 cup sour cream
2 TBS or so of cumin
salsa - canned mexican tomatoes would have worked better I think but I don't have any
Green Enchilada sauce
flour tortillas (if I would have had corn tortillas this would be g/f)

Spray a smallish rectangular pan with cooking spray. Mix together everything BUT 1/2 cup cheese, 3/4 can sauce, and tortillas. Put in a layer of tortillas - rip to make fit. Then put half of mixture over and then another layer of tortillas then mixture then tortillas finally top with rest of Enchilada Sauce and cheese. Cover with foil cook @ 375 for 20 minutes, remove foil, cook 10 more minutes.

How I adapted it for Joe:
1 egg, beaten
cheese (rice)
chicken
salsa
cumin
enchilada sauce (I forgot to save some for him - will next time if it is good)
crushed tortilla chips
tortilla

spray a single serving corningware thing with canola spray. Put in 1 tortilla like a cup. Mix the rest and dump in. Cook along side main meal.

Why is this frugal? because I fed 5 people with 1/2 a leftover chicken breast, the rest of some odd bags of cheese, my remaining cottage cheese and sour cream, stale tortilla chips and a can of enchilada sauce I had laying around, and some funky fruit salsa leftover from Dougie's graduation party - I bought nothing new to make it. Love it when it turns out!

here's hoping this is edible!
God Bless,
Christy



update: It tasted delicious but I needed to cook it 30 more minutes, I think I will add a 2nd egg next time to hold it together more, oh and definitely let it stand about 10 minutes to what do you call it? um gel? Joe loved his meal also - he has many food allergies among them milk.

No comments:

Today's Mass Readings